Osani Community Health & Development Centre
About Osani Community Health & Development Centre
Osani Community Health & Development Centre is a registered Health Facility. It has a total of 40 In-Patient beds and 3 Day Care beds. The inpatient specialties are General Medicine, General Surgery, and Gynecology. They also have an Urgent Care Centre incorporating a Local Injuries Unit and Medical Assessment Unit.
- Discover the health care system in Kenya
- Exchange of practice
- Free time on the weekend to discover Kenya
- CIVS organizes tours and safaris to spectacular sites of interest in Kenya
- Affordable fees which include airport pick up, accommodation, meals, orientation and 24/7 support
The facility was established to provide hope, care and cures to help every patient live the healthiest and most fulfilling life possible. It is centered on the following core values: Compassion, Excellence, integrity, collaboration, equity and innovation.
The hospital prefers volunteers with medical qualifications, and once placed, the volunteer will be free to adjust their working plan with support. We will provide they will provide assistance to the hospital and the community while learning and being with the people.
During this period, the trainees realized that there was a big health problem in their community. Apart from HIV/AIDS as the main problem, there were more health issues such as an increasing number of orphans/ vulnerable children, and jigger menace as a result of parents’ death from HIV/AIDS. Most orphans were infected by jiggers, this was as a result of parental and guardian poor care. In general, such children lack basic needs such as health care, shelter, education, and clothing among others.
Having realized all these problems within the community, the Community Health Volunteers decided to establish a group and named it as Esikoma Community Health Volunteers (ECHV). The group is engaging in activities like providing medical services, Jiggers eradication program, creating tree nurseries and planting trees, Health Education in local schools and Distribution of sanitary pads to schools. The profit generated from selling of the trees is channeled to the hospital project.
CIVS solely depends on volunteer contributions to support its activities.
The fee has to be paid upfront on arrival in full.
It covers the following services:
- Aiport transfers (Arrival and Departure)
- 3-day orientation seminar
- Introduction to the city
- Accommodation and food during orientation and during placement duration
- Coordination and office support
The following costs are NOT included:
- Visa costs and ticket flight
- Local travelling: from the office to the project
- Direct donations to the project
- Cost of sightseeing
- Cost of drinks like soda, beer, mineral water etc.
All volunteers taking part in this project will be picked up from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi.
There will be an orientation seminar for new volunteers lasting three days including Nairobi city introduction.
The volunteer will live at a host family house, 10 minute’s walk to the project site. Volunteers will have their own rooms. Water is fetched from a nearby well, there is electricity at the project though not reliable sometimes. The host family will provide breakfast and dinner while lunch will be provided at the project.
Sleeping bag, sleeping mat, and mosquito net are necessary. You can also bring photos of your country, clothes, books, pens, toys etc
During weekends, volunteers can visit lots of sites of interest in Nairobi and around :
- Giraffe orphanage
- Elephant orphanage
- Nairobi National Museum,
- Nairobi National Park
- Lake Naivasha
- Hell’s gate
- Rift valley viewpoint
CIVS Kenya organizes tours and safaris to spectacular sites of interest in Kenya. Volunteers, who wish to participate, should let us know as soon as possible in order to enable us to make proper arrangements. The fee charged is all-inclusive of meals, transport, park entry fees, accommodation and tour guiding.
The cost of a 3-days safari to Masai Mara National Reserve is 400 Euros by Tour van and 480 Euros by a Landcruiser jeep.
It includes: –
Day 1: Nairobi – Maasai Mara: game viewing drive in the evening
Day 2: Maasai Mara game viewing drive in the morning and the evening
Day 3: Maasai Mara game viewing drive in the early morning
The volunteer will be an integral part of community life:
- Assisting the medical and non-medical staff in the community hospital
- Co-coordinating and taking care of the patients
- Taking patient samples, pulses, and temperature information
- Offering voluntary, counseling and testing for HIV/AIDS
- Assisting in Preparing and updating of records in the hospital
- Providing advice and emotional support to patients
- Participating in community visits for HIV patients
- Engaging in other income generation activities like brick making and tree planting
MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
EMAIL US YOUR REQUEST
WE WILL SEND YOU THE INFOSHEET & REQUIREMENTS
PROJECT PLACEMENT BEGINS
AWAITING YOUR ARRIVAL
CIVS will respond to any question.
The Center for International Voluntary Service (CIVS Kenya) is a Community Development Organization working with local marginalized communities in Kenya to support them in their development and fight the poverty through volunteering and community development programs.